Tuesday 4 July 2023

Bork Bork Bork


This 'ere establishment, in New Basford, is Love Food, which, according to its Facebook page - last updated in August 2020 - offers 'Great quality food freshly made to order'.

I was unable to test the veracity of the 'Great quality' claim for obvious reasons. However, the upside of the situation was that I was able to admire the splendid shutter art, with the legendary Swedish Chef of Muppets fame up front and centre.

I was soon brought back down to earth when a gentleman emerged from one of the nearby properties and offered up that old chestnut of the ignorant, 'Why are you taking photos?'

Having despatched him with a cheery, 'Because of the artwork. Haven't you noticed it? It's great!', I reflected on the many times that I have been asked this question while out and about photographing things that don't fit conveniently into some folks' idea of what it is acceptable to take photographs of.

At best (other than on the rare occasion that someone is expressing a genuine, friendly interest), the insinuation seems to be that I am some sort of deviant. At worst, the implication is that I am engaging in suspicious activity and quite possibly have some sort of ulterior motive.

Thankfully, in this country, the law prescribes that we are free to take photographs of whatever the hell we like when on public land, with certain caveats such as making sure that no-one is being harassed in the process.

This is a right that is well worth defending, so my message to everyone who has ever made me feel uncomfortable by questioning why I am taking a photograph of something is:

YOU CAN SHOVE YOUR SMALL-MINDED, PAROCHIAL ATTITUDES WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

Now then, where was I?

No comments:

Post a Comment